It’s March 20th and today is the last day of winter. Normally in Toronto, we’d be wearing warm coats with hats and gloves, and possibly even shoveling snow. Not today! We set an all-time record high temperature on this glorious sunny day: 23 degrees C (73 deg F, for my friends in the US), as opposed to the normal high of 8 degrees C (46 deg F).
Since it was such a nice day I was inspired to cook a summertime-style meal: Marinated Beef Tenderloin Steaks, with Grilled Potatoes on the Barbecue. The marinade is excellent and I’ll post that later, but for now, here’s my favourite recipe for potatoes on the grill:
- 5-6 medium size white or red potatoes, diced into large 1″ chunks
- 1/2-cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped very finely
- Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
- Lay out a double layer of tinfoil (large sheets)
- Lightly grease the surface with oil (to prevent sticking)
- Spread potatoes out on the foil
- Add onion, rosemary, garlic, and drizzle with oil
- Add fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
- Seal up the tinfoil and cook over medium heat on the barbecue for 25-30 minutes.
- For the last 5 minutes, open the tinfoil to allow the potatoes to brown a little. This also allows you to confirm that the potatoes aren’t under or overcooked.